Applying for social welfare payments and services online


MyWelfare is a website that gives you online access to social welfare payments and services.

You can use MyWelfare to make appointments, order statements and apply for certain social welfare payments. You can also update your contact and other details.

You can apply online for many payments including:

  • Jobseeker’s payments
  • Illness Benefit
  • Paternity Benefit
  • Maternity Benefit
  • Child Benefit
  • PRSI refunds

If you need to provide supporting documents to assist in your application you can upload these on MyWelfare.

You can also:

  • Make appointments to get a Personal Public Service number or Public Services Card
  • Update your change of address details
  • Update your bank details
  • Request a payment statement or a contribution statement
  • Close a jobseeker’s claim
  • Request a jobseeker’s holiday
  • Submit work and skills information to a case officer
  • Check eligibility for dental and optical benefits
  • Use the Benefit of Work Estimator
  • Use the pension recalculation tool


To use MyWelfare online services, you need to create a MyGovID account. MyGovID is a secure online identity verification service.

Your MyGovID account allows you to access a range of government services online as well as social welfare services. More services will be added in the future.

There are 2 types of MyGovID account:

  • A basic account is a simple MyGovID account. You can access services like booking appointments to get a PPS number and Public Services Card online and request a statement of your PRSI contributions. You just need an email address to register for a basic account.
  • A verified account is a more secure type of MyGovID account that lets you access all available services.

How do I apply for a MyGovID account?

To create your basic MyGovID account, visit, enter your email address, create a password and click ‘Register now’. A code will be sent to your email address which you will need to enter on screen to complete your basic account registration.

Once you have activated your MyGovID account, you can log into your basic account. You will see a list of online services including MyWelfare services.

You can also log directly into MyWelfare using your MyGovID.

If you want to upgrade from a basic to a verified MyGovID account, you need:

  • A PPS number (see below)
  • A Public Services Card (see below)
  • A verified phone that can receive text messages. If your phone is not verified already, you can call 0818 927 999.

Every time you access your verified MyGovID account, you will be asked to enter a verification code sent to your mobile phone. This two-step authentication process makes your account very secure.

How do I get a Personal Public Service number and Public Services Card?

You need a Personal Public Service (PPS) number and Public Services Card (PSC) to apply for social welfare payments.

Once you have a verified account you can apply for social welfare payments online. In some cases you must be invited to apply online.

What happens if I don’t have access to the Internet?

MyWelfare offers you another way to access services, apply for benefits or amend your jobseekers details. If you don’t have internet access you can continue to get your benefits as normal.

Where to apply

Visit to access social welfare services and payments online.

Page edited: 6 November 2023